Best Website Builders for eCommerce
Building a great website with an enhanced UX and efficient performance is vital to making your business thrive. Employing an efficient website builder is the first step to getting your eCommerce website or online store up and running. You’ll require a reasonable builder that meets your online store’s requirements and is also in sync with your primary website building skill set.
The good news is that building your own website for your eCommerce business is no longer rocket science. You don’t have to be a professional coder to do the job anymore. The revolutionary world of technology has landed us with a surplus number of fantastic website builders that are both user-friendly and efficient and provide you with professional drag-and-drop design tools that enable you to customize your website and jazz it up the way you want.
The in-built design and maintenance tools that come with these builders enhance the optimum functioning of your eCommerce business. What’s more, these varieties come with a range of price plans, so there’s something for each category of business and all pockets.
With so many options available in the market, it may be hard to pick the perfect choice for your website. However, you need to go over important key considerations while selecting. We’ll look at those towards the end of this guide, but first, let’s talk about what a website builder is and how it works.
- What is a Website Builder?
- How Does a Website Builder Work?
- Best Website Builders for eCommerce
- Factors to Consider When Choosing a Website Builder
- What Are the Pros and Cons of Using a Website Builder?
What is a Website Builder?
In simple terms, a website builder is a program that lets you build your website through easy-to-use tools without any prior coding knowledge. It comes with a pre-made set of designs, features, and templates that enables you to get your website up and running with a few simple clicks instead of hiring professional developers and investing too much money to do the same.
How Does a Website Builder Work?
Think of it this way; the builder is your developer who comes with in-built codes and commands. It’s an automated process where you have to browse and choose from a choice of pre-made templates, select different features and website tools like forms and videos and have your desired website right before you. The builder enables you to do the design work with its in-built drag-and-drop editors, the command of which is directly connected to your hosting provider.
The website builder is an all-in-one solution that makes your website an automatic self-sufficient unit. This software takes care of different aspects like domain, security, and maintenance. It helps you manipulate and navigate your way around the site to personalize its layout, design, and content with the help of a set of tools and in-built features. Thus components like video backgrounds, animations, forms, maps, and so much more are all made possible by a few clicks. The easy-to-use drag-and-drop design editor can also individualize your website’s fonts, text size, colour palettes, and content distribution. All the website commands and controls are for you to monitor through its dashboard or user interface.
Best Website Builders for eCommerce
Let’s move on to the list of the best website builders in 2022 that are specifically programmed for eCommerce platforms.
Wix is one of the most popular choices of website builders for business owners all over the world. Its unique selling point is its easy-to-use design editors and templates that allow you to make attractive and professional-looking websites with a few clicks.
You don’t need coding skills to make your websites through Wix, as the platform’s convenient drag-and-drop features help you navigate the process quickly. You can use two options: a template-based process that allows you to use a pre-made design or layout and tweak it according to your requirements. Or you can use Wix’s fantastic AI-fueled method that builds your entire website for you from scratch with just some primary initial input on your part.
This makes Wix a go-to builder, especially for small business owners who may not feel confident about their website building skills.
- User-friendly drag-and-drop interface
- Budget-friendly plans offering great value for money
- AI-fueled website builder
- Large variety of professional templates specific to all industries and niches
- Access to the Wix marketplace with extra functions
- Excellent customer support
- Multi-lingual site templates
- Superior site security for users
- SEO optimized
- Advanced design features like video backgrounds and animations
- Mobile-friendly version
- Custom domain with free hosting and a free SSL certificate
- Supports multiple payment gateways and methods
- Lots of product pages and store manager tools
Wix’s paid plans provide you with access to standard features like secure payments, free and custom domain, and customer accounts. The only variance is in the amount of storage space for each package.
- Basic: $23 per month with 20 GB storage
- Unlimited: $27 per month with 35 GB storage
- VIP: $49 per month with 50 GB storage
Web.com is another highly sought-after website builder that’s a popular choice for users and major businesses globally. It comes with convenient and user-friendly builder tools that enable you to build great websites without prior coding knowledge at affordable introductory prices.
With Web’s paid plans, you can access various features to sell your products across multiple platforms and channels. You can efficiently track and maintain your product inventory through inventory synching, restock management, and multiple location tracking.
- An efficient web-store creator that allows complete customization
- Inbuilt SEO tools
- Access to Google Ads
- Affordable price plans with fantastic services and tools
- Discount promos and offers
- Marketing bundle to facilitate you in promoting your business
- Drag-and-drop design interface
- Free domain
- All necessary features included in the package like video content, contact forms, testimonial section, social media buttons, and map locations.
- Unlimited website pages
- Mobile-friendly templates customizable for different devices
- You can add up to 50 products
- Order tracking and management
- Secure payment gateways
- Multi-warehouse inventory management
- Multiple platform selling
All eCommerce plans include the standard business plan features like unlimited products, credit card payments, secure cart and order tracking managment.
The Premium Plan has additional options like fulillment automation and tax calculations.
- Ecommerce Essentials Plan: $32.95 monthly with an annual billing option of $25.99 monthly
- Ecommerce Premium Plan: starting price of $24.95 monthly, with a standard monthly fee of $49.99 and an annual billing option of $19.95 monthly.
Suppose you’re a design professional or a creative individual who relies on rich visual content and imagery to sell your products or services. In that case, Squarespace is the perfect website builder for you. It provides an all-in-one solution for your complete needs, as, unlike other builders, it’s optimized for business.
Due to Squarespace’s built-in eCommerce functionality, it remains a popular choice for creative professionals to showcase their portfolios.
- Easy-to-use interface
- Pre-made industry-specific free templates
- Huge variety of design and store management tools
- Ability to connect with hundreds of web apps through Zapier integration
- Content tools like video backgrounds and animations
- SSL certificates
- Logo creation app
- Advanced inventory management system
- You can stock both digital and physical goods
- Selling across multiple platforms through social media integration
Squarespace’s paid plans offer standard features such as free custom domains, SSL security, unlimited bandwidth and storage, SEO optimizing tools, and a variety of design templates. Pricier plans include a few additional features.
- Business Plan: $18 monthly with a 3% transaction fee
- Basic eCommerce Plan: $26 monthly with no transaction fee
- Advanced eCommerce Plan: $40 monthly with no transaction fee
Recognized as a leader in the eCommerce space and trusted by millions of website owners and retail businesses worldwide, Shopify remains the most popular eCommerce platform in the market. It has facilitated over $200 billion in online sales globally.
Shopify’s unique selling point is its highly versatile user platform that accommodates your needs no matter where you are in your entrepreneurial journey. It provides an extensive range of features and tools for online purchasing and payments, perhaps the most extensive variety provided by any website builder.
The great thing about Shopify is that it’s non-restrictive in terms of what sized business uses it. It easily allows small businesses to scale up and expand their services once their company grows. It’s as good for new startups as it is for mega-corporations.
- Known for easy scalability across all features, from tool kits to pricing plans
- You can sell an unlimited number of products
- Sophisticated inventory and store management tools
- An enormous range of professional-looking templates for you to tweak according to requirements
- Numerous payment methods
- Unlimited products
- Advanced inventory management tools
- Marketing tools included
- Features like gift cards, coupons, discounts, promotions
- Multi-channel selling
- Multiple currency selling
- Round-the-clock customer support
- Secure payment gateways
- A fully hosted platform
- Access to Shopify’s large and diverse user community
- Access to Shopify’s app store, which has a variety of plugins
- Business insights
All paid Shopify plans include essential tools for new businesses, such as unlimited products, two staff accounts, 24/7 customer support, an online store and a blog. The Shopify and Advanced Shopify plans feature some additional enhancements like reports, gift cards, up to 5 staff members, point of sales features and third-party calculated shipping rates.
- 14-day free trial
- Basic Shopify: $29 monthly.
- Shopify: $79 monthly
- Advanced Shopify: $299 monthly
Weebly is a straightforward and simple-to-use builder that offers limited functionality. Therefore it’s best for low-maintenance sites. It works well for quickly putting together eCommerce websites that don’t require too many sophisticated and fancy features.
Due to its primary offerings, Weebly is a better-suited option for brick-and-mortar stores looking for an online presence as a secondary business objective and not their primary operational method. Also, it works well for small business owners, independent sellers, and companies whose operations are mainly local. For such a group of entrepreneurs, Weebly is a great fuss-free website building option that efficiently fulfills their requirements.
- Drag-and-drop interface
- Variety of professional-looking yet attractive design templates
- Intuitive editor and user dashboard
- Through its integration with Stripe, it allows faster international payments
- Free domains
- Built-in secure shopping cart and fast checkout
- Unlimited products
- Ability to create coupons and digital gift cards
- Inventory management
- SEO optimized
- Easy upgrading to bigger plans
Free: $0 monthly with a 3% transaction fee
Personal: $6 monthly with a 3% transaction fee
Professional: $12 monthly with no transaction fee
Performance: $26 monthly with no transaction fee
The first two plans are suited for small stores and startups, whereas the professional and performance plans have great options for companies wanting to scale up and get their domains.
This one belongs to the league of high-end website builders, preferred and used by large businesses and multinational companies worldwide. As the name suggests, it powers massive eCommerce platforms. Its portfolio includes big names like Ben & Jerry’s and Toyota. A popular choice, BigCommerce has enabled over $25 billion in sales.
Therefore BigCommerce is a great builder for wholesalers, international businesses, and B2B sellers. If you want to scale your business and enable a large online store setup operating across multiple channels, BigCommerce is a suitable option.
- Excellent value for money
- Extensive set of inbuilt features and analytic tools
- Allows massive scaling options
- Brilliant business reporting tools
- Built-in product review features
- Multiple payment gateways
- Sell in multiple currencies
- SEO optimized
- Multi-channel selling
- Create discount coupons and other such features
- In-built blog
- Cart abandonment recovery
- Single page checkout
- Unlimited staff accounts
- Annual revenue caps that help businesses scale-up
BigCommerce has four different price plans according to your business requirements and scale.
The Standard Plan includes plenty of features, unlimited product registrations, and staff accounts.
The Plus option has all the Standard features plus extra benefits like cart recovery and store credit cards.
With the Pro Plan, you get added tools like custom SSL certificates, product filtering, and Google customer review tools.
The Enterprise Plan is tailored with custom pricing for businesses that make more than $400k in annual sales revenue. It has an individualized set of enablements best suited for such large-scale companies and 24/7 dedicated customer support.
- Standard plan: $29.95 per month with a $50k annual revenue cap
- Plus: $79.95 per month with a $180k revenue cap
- Pro: $299.95 per month with a $400k annual revenue cap.
With the Pro plan, you get extra tools like custom SSL certificates, product filtering, and Google customer review tools
If you’re looking for a simple and convenient website builder that will meet most of your requirements while providing a workable eCommerce solution, Zyro is the best. Though it operates on a smaller scale than other builders, it’s got some specialized features that will help you make the most out of your eCommerce business.
In addition to 24 professional templates and user-friendly drag-and-drop tools, Zyro’s actual USP is its deep marketing enablement strategy that helps you track customer behaviour and analytics. These tools facilitate the conversion rate of your business and help you devise better marketing strategies.
- eCommerce plans that integrate with Google Analytics, Facebook Ads, and other similar tools to help you in your retargeting strategy
- Customer behaviour tracking
- Multiple payment methods
- Intuitive website builder
- Inventory and order management
- Free custom domain for a year
- Unlimited storage
Zyro offers three different price plans. The Business Plan provides you with all the eCommerce essentials. If you opt for the Online Store option, you get additional professional tools for eCommerce functionality. The Advanced Store Plan has efficient marketing tools for scaling your business.
Business: $4.90 per month
Online Store: $8.90 per month
Advance Store: $15.90 per month
Here is a website builder on our list that is not your average builder, and neither is it for everyone. It’s not for those of you with minimal technical skills. Shift4Shop is a helpful builder for experienced website developers who want more control over their setup and the know-how to get it. Such people may have unique needs and would not be satisfied with the limitations of a pre-made design.
So if you’re a developer or working with one, then perhaps Shift4Shop will work wonders for you. It allows you to change each aspect of your site through coding across multiple layers.
- No limits on customization
- Core templating engine allows you to build your custom themes instead of relying on a premade one
- Custom mobile app
- Unlimited products
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Fully functional CRM
- Generate bulk discounts (ideal for wholesalers)
- Customizable checkout page
- Total FTP access
- Access to the company’s team of expert developers
- Multiple payment gateways
- SEO optimized
- No transaction fee
The company offers you a 100% free end-to-end eCommerce platform with access to all its features and tools, with only a 2.9% transaction fee. However, you must be using Shift4Shop’s payment processor and be based in the US to avail of this offer.
If you use another payment processor or are not in the US, you can select either of their paid plans.
- Basic: $29 per month for 2 users, with a $100k annual revenue cap
- Plus: $79 per month for 5 users, with a $250k annual revenue cap
- Pro: $299 per month for 15 users, with a $1M annual revenue cap
WooCommerce is hands down the best and top-rated eCommerce plugin specifically built for WordPress sites. It is, in fact, WordPress’s most popular plugin. So if you already have a WordPress site and want to convert it into an eCommerce platform for your business, look no further than WooCommerce.
- 140+ payment gateways
- Flexible and totally customizable functions
- Manage your orders on the go
- Sell both physical and digital products
- Free and paid extensions
- Complete scalability
- Free installation
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Website Builder
With so many choices of excellent website builders available in the market, all selling easy-to-use design facilities and enhanced features, you may find yourself spoilt for choice. However, you should keep the following factors in mind when selecting to ensure you’re getting the best deal for yourself and maximum value for your money.
- Ease of Use
Designing a website is not rocket science; it should be complete in a few simple clicks. Features like drag-and-drop editors and intuitive building tools are essential aspects of a great builder. The builder you select should be easy to use as a central feature.
- Your Technical Skill Set
Various builders are meant for people of different levels. There are for beginners and newcomers, and there are some for professional developers. There is also a category for people in the middle zone. The one you choose has to sync with how much of the basics you know about building a website.
- Built-In Functions and Features
It all boils down to what your builder is providing you with. This includes professional yet aesthetically pleasing templates and added features like background videos and animations. The list is not limited to only the layout, however. You will require eCommerce tools that enable you to create discount coupons, register staff accounts, track your inventory, manage your orders, install great plugins, and so much more. Some of these features and tools are in-built into the builder. Others have to be purchased from the online marketplace or app store. So you need to go over in detail all the functions you are getting in the deal.
- Customization options
Does your builder allow you to customize and tweak your design just the way you want? Does it have the proper templates and content enhancement features? Go over the different customization options on offer before deciding.
You may want to remain a small business, or you may want to run a part-time side hustle, or perhaps you have bigger plans for your company and may want to scale your business once it expands fully. Whatever you choose to do, your builder should be able to facilitate your plans by providing easy scalability options.
Your website needs a sound and stable security system for optimum performance and enhanced customer experience.
- Price Point
Lastly, you will have to consider how much you are willing to invest in a builder. Whatever you spend should also be justified regarding the facilities, enablement tools, and features you get. Thus within your set budget, you should get maximum value for money.
What are the Pros and Cons of Using a Website Builder?
Although website builders are great tools of convenience that have made life for most people automated, quick, and efficient. Where once, a non-developer or non-technical person couldn’t imagine creating a website independently from scratch without professional help, a website builder has given new options for making things possible to internet users and new entrepreneurs.
Though most people would affirm the pros outweigh the cons, let’s look at some of the main pros and cons of using a website builder.
- No coding skills required
- A fast and efficient method of starting a website
- No prior design experience required
- All-in-one solution for building and running a website
- Easy to export websites across domains
- Better SEO
- Limited customization
- Limited customization for mobile interface
- Some builders come with limited eCommerce functionality
Summing It Up
An efficient website builder is your first step towards building a fantastic online store with enhanced eCommerce features that make shopping a pleasurable experience for your customers. Which is the best for you entirely depends on your particular context and factors like your business’s scale, technical skill set, budget, etc.
We advise reviewing the pros and cons of each builder on your list of top considerations, exploring their user reviews and testimonials, and then supplementing it with the information we’ve provided in this guide to help you make a decision.
Never underestimate the value of a good website builder. It will enable your eCommerce setup to operate smoothly and lead to a high UX for your site and a higher customer conversion rate.
We made sure to cover all the most popular
hosting use cases and are working daily to
test and feature only the best options for
you to choose from!
Best Website Builder
Best cPanel Hosting
Best eCommerce Hosting
Best Web Hosting
Best Reseller Hosting
Best WordPress Hosting
Best Managed WordPress
Best WooCommerce Hosting
Best VPS Hosting
Best Website Security
Best Email Hosting
Best Support Care
Best Blog Hosting
Join The Newsletter
Want to stay up-to-date on the latest reviews? Join the Hosting Review newsletter to never miss a thing.